Monday, September 10, 2012

Finished project

While decorating for fall this time I wanted something different for my dining room table, I love this table! It is not used except for holiday meals so I can dress it out knowing I won't have to move things off of it to make room for meals. Hubby built it for me several years ago, it is 9ft long so I have lots of room to play.

 
 
Well this year I saw my inspiration on pintrest and knew I had to have this box! So with picture in hand hubby and I started making plans...it was a one day project and easy to do and I just had to share it with you...here's what we did:

I decided I wanted my box 6 1/2 feet long and rustic, so we got three cedar plank fence boards at Home Depot. It is rough on the outside and three boards are plenty to do the sides bottom and ends, cost....$12.00!  After cutting to length I had hubby put an angle (35 degree) on the sides and bottom but you could make just a box and it will work fine.

 
add the end pieces and choose your stain, we used pecan because the board soaks it up and appears darker than most.

 
Mike sprayed mine because to him that is easier but a brush works just as well, no need to wipe it off just let it dry...

 
Now the fun part...DECORATE!! I used a garland for my base then filled in around it but you could use anything you like. I would suggest that you have something that you can use to "lift"  your items so they will be varying heights to add more interest...so here is my finished project..what do you think? Did we pull it off? (see why I love pintrest...there are so many wonderful ideas that you can make your own) I can hardly wait to use it for other seasons, won't it be cute with Christmas greenery and Santas or what about tulips and Easter eggs...oh the possibilities!!!

 
Keep creating and see you soon!
 Dana
 

No comments: