Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekend project...magnetize!!

For those of you who know me you know I don't like clutter of any kind. I like things orderly, neat and in it's place, displayed and not "stuck". It really kept me hopping at the shop because of course when people look, feel and buy out of a display it MUST be redone to look good again, at least to my eye. So that led me to this weekends project....CLEANING OFF MY REFRIGERATOR! I love all the pictures art work etc just not there...so here was my solution...

I had seen this product used on TV and remembered they made a wall magnetized so I had to try it. I put it on hubby's Home Depot list, he found it easily and so my project was off to a good start.

First we used blue tape to mask off the area of the wall we wanted our magnet board. Then we put three to four thin layers of the magnet paint on the wall. We sanded the wall a little before painting because our wall had a satin paint on it so we wanted to have a good surface. Each coat takes about 30 minutes to dry so it doesn't take long. Hint...if you will wrap your roller in a plastic grocery bag between coats you don't have to clean it and it will stay wet between coatsThe instructions suggest no more than two coats of top coat should go on top of the magnetic paint so we used Kilnz for our first coat since our walls are so light in color I was afraid it wouldn't cover the black of the magnetic paint. This may have been a mistake I think it blocked a little too much but it still worked out okay, but I would not do it this way again.....just sayin'The last step was to paint with the wall color paint and then put the trim up that Hubby had painted for me to frame it out...so what do you think? Much better than a messy fridge door
and a lot more room for our budding artist!!

and you know I couldn't stop there, with the left over paint I did a small closet door in the kids room, now they have a special place for their art work in progress. Hint #2 the magnetic paint is hard to clean up so cover things and if you are messy like I am..nail polish remover will take it off your hands, I am still working on the sleeve of my shirt!! Happy painting!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That turned out SOOOO CUTE!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy from MO